TYPE: A 25
ISSUED: April 1, 1926
PAPER: Watermarked four double crosses
PERF: 14, 15
DESIGNER: F. Helbing
PURPOSE: Entire new series of postage stamps because of change in monetary rates to filler and pengo
DESIGN: Crown of St. Stephen.
HISTORY: This is the first time the crown has been shown alone. This crown has a very long history. It is known as the Holy Crown of St. Stephen and consists of two crowns, the upper part presented by Pope Sylvester II to St. Stephen the first King of Hungary, in about 1000, in recognition of his efforts to bring to Christianity the various tribes making up the Hungarians; the lower part was received by King Geza I, from Michael Dukas, Emperor of Byzantium, in recognition of the cultural efforts of the Hungarians. Both crowns were later welded into one.
Perhaps you have wondered why the little cross on the top slopes to the left. There are many stories about this – one tells us that it was knocked sidewise in a battle; another one tells that it was a sign of servitude imposed by Charles VI as the result of an Hungarian insurrection; another one tells that Maria Theresa had the cross put in its original position, but that it began to slope again after the Revolution of 1849. If we are to believe another writer the bolt and nut which hold the cross in its place have been worn away in the course of the centuries and the authorities do not wish to renew the fastening. It is unlikely that Charles VI would attach the cross in such a position, since he and his successors were to wear the crown. It is also unlikely that Maria Theresa had the cross straightened, because she is seen wearing the crown with the cross sloping.
When Kossuth fled before the imperial armies in 1849 he buried the coronation insignia and the crown on a hill near Orsova.
ISSUES OF THE REGENCY Nos. 403-408
TYPE: A 25